Socialization plays an integral role in our clients living healthy, successful, fulfilled lives. It is this belief that has formed the basis for many of our programs including iPassport, Dream Chips, Recreational Therapy, and Monthly Activities. Please take a few minutes to explore our unique, proprietary programs designed to assist our clients living more social lives.
1. Community integration; becoming an active member in their community
2. Programs are driven by the clients
3. Clients identify, plan and execute all aspects of the program
4. Clients gain confidence in social settings
5. Learning new skills
6. Program oversight by a recreational therapist
iPassport was created to inspire, teach and support individuals with developmental disabilities in the areas of daily living, learning, and community involvement. We believe that everyone has a choice in what they want to do in their everyday lives, and iPassport is not your traditional Day Program.The programs are driven by the consumers as they choose what they want to learn and where they want to go. Our specialized staff is there to assist them with identifying their interests and outlining their specific programs using our unique process, Dream Chips. Consumers will identify, plan and execute all aspects of the program. During the group meetings, the groups role play social settings, practice talking to people and asking appropriate questions, and plan out their day. This includes meal planning, shopping and preparation, researching and gathering information for planned activities, and developing individual plans for each activity.
Community involvement plays a major role in every consumer’s success. Just visiting the community is not integration. We encourage and work with our individuals to become an active member of their community by providing opportunities and avenues to them.
Participants are recognized for progress and accomplishments which instills pride, confidence and responsibility which enables participants to become leaders!
The iPassport program builds individual self-esteem by allowing the consumer to make their own decisions and choices, learn new skills, and become an active part of their community. And every new skill and every choice they make, brings them closer to finding their own independence.
Programming is developed and overseen by a recreational therapist.
1. Overcome communication barriers
2. Improve quality of life
3. Goal setting through a simple and fun process
4. Reduce behaviors
5. Clients working towards their dreams
6. Clients’ full participation in quarterly meetings
We provide assistance to individuals who are intellectually/physically disabled or elderly. Through our assistance, these individuals are able to make their own decisions and choices to guide their lives while working to achieve their goals and dreams. Often times our clients had barriers that would inhibit their ability to define what their goals and dreams were, so we created Dream Chips to assist them in finding their voice.
Dream Chips is a beautifully simple tool with which our staff can easily help their clients identify what they would like to do. The simple intuitive design of the program easily allows clients to overcome communication barriers, reduce behaviors, improve their quality of life, and set their goals through a simple and fun process.
Dream Chips is truly a person-centered planning tool that can be utilized in the comfort of the client’s home without any outside influences to affect the outcome. The process is completed by a Dream Chips Specialist that has been trained specifically on how to create this individualized person centered plan with our client.
1. Improve Cognitive Skills
2. Improve Physical Skills
3. Improve Emotional Well Being
4. Decrease Behavioral Problems
Recreational Therapy is a treatment service designed to restore, remediate and rehabilitate a person’s level of functioning and independence. Recreational Therapy also serves to promote health and wellness as well as reduce or eliminate the activity limitations and restrictions to participation in life situations caused by an illness or disabling condition.
Our therapists work with clients independently or in small groups to restore motor, social and cognitive functioning, build confidence, develop coping skills, and integrate skills learned in treatment settings into community settings. The focus areas vary based upon client interests. Examples of therapy focuses range from art, sports, and outdoor activities to dance, movement, and leisure education.
– Ability to follow simple directions
– Improved communication
– Improved interpersonal skills
– Decision making opportunities
– Improved attention span
– Heightened sensory awareness
– Heightened environmental awareness
– Improved ability to make needs known
– Improved memory skills
– Improved self-expression
– Improved fine/gross motor skills
– Increased endurance
– Increased mobility and range of motion
– Improved hand/eye coordination
– Improved ADL skills/body awareness
– Increased strength and flexibility
– Improved sleep patterns
– Improved skin integrity
– Improved appetite
– Decreased incontinence
– Decreased use of pain medications
– Increased socialization
– Increased motivation
– Opportunity for creative expression
– Increased self-esteem
– Increased confidence
– Decreased depression
– Decreased boredom
– Utilization of stress management skills
– Decreased learned helplessness
– Sundown syndrome
– Repetitive motions
– Yelling & screaming
– Abusive behavior
Download Our Recreational Therapy Brochure
1. Increase in mobility and physical activity
2. Increase in independence, socialization, and community integration.
3. Increase in communication skills
4. Building healthy relationships with their peers and promoting friendships
5. Programs are designed to promote the development of social skills that are necessary in order to integrate individuals with disabilities into the community
Each week Companion Care offers clients the ability to participate in community/group activities. Activities include community events such as Pacers games, Indians games, monthly birthday parties and art classes. All of these events help in fostering a sense of community with our clients here at Companion Care and also help in getting our clients more active in the local community.
The goal of these activities is to give clients the opportunity to improve socialization skills, learn new skills, and to just have fun. These programs are part of our overall program and are offered at no charge. Some of our past activities have included, rock climbing, dinner and a movie, Indianapolis Motor Speedway, The Indianapolis Zoo, Conner Prairie, holiday crafts, bingo, and many more.Download Our Community Events Brochure